This banana cake embodies comfort food, but chef William Curley has added pecan nuts and a streusel topping to add texture.
Makes 8 small cakes
- 60g (2oz / 1/4 cup / 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g (7oz / 1 1/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 5g (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 100g (3 1/2oz / 1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3g (1/8oz / 1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 112g (4oz) whole eggs (about 2–3 eggs)
- 50g (1 3/4oz/ 3 tablespoons) honey
- 50g (1 3/4oz/ 1/2 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- 400g (14oz) peeled banana, roughly chopped
For the Pecan Streusel topping:
- 50g (1 3/4oz / 3 1/2 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g (1 3/4oz/generous 1/3 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 50g (1 3/4 oz / 1/4 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 50g (1 3/4 oz/ 1/2 cup) ground pecan nuts
- 80g (3oz / 3/4 cup) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
You will also need:
• eight 4 × 4 × 7cm (1 1/2 × 1 1/2 × 2 3/4 inch) loaf tins
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F/gas 3). Grease the loaf tins and line with silicone (baking) paper.
2. Sieve together the flour and bicarbonate of (baking) soda twice into a bowl.
3. Put the softened butter, sugar and salt together in a bowl and beat until light and creamy in texture.
4. Gradually add the eggs and continue mixing until fully incorporated. Add the honey, pecans and banana, then gently fold in the sieved flour and bicarbonate of (baking) soda.
5. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins (about 120g / 4 1/4oz in each tin) and level the tops using a small palette knife.
6. Prepare the streusel topping. Put the butter, flour, sugar and ground pecans in a mixing bowl and rub together until a crumble texture forms. Stir through the chopped pecans.
7. Spoon the streusel generously on top of each cake, ensuring it is completely covered.
8. Bake for 20 minutes. To check if the cake is cooked through, insert a small, sharp knife into the centre and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. Leave to cool, then de-mould.
Store in an airtight container and consume within 2–3 days