This is a simple tart that's flavored with blueberry and violet. Candied violet and fresh blueberries serve as decoration for the top of the tart. Violet also appears in the blueberry jam. Like with many of the more traditional pastries Frank Haasnoot does, the beauty of this tart lies in its simplicity, which comes from adhering to those qualities that make it an enduring classic in the first place.
Pastry Cream (Total 501 g)
- 1 u vanilla pod (Madagascar)
- 278 g milk
- 16 g T55 flour
- 69 g caster sugar
- 12 g cornstarch
- 97 g egg yolks
- 28 g butter
1. Boil milk, 1/2 sugar and vanilla (split and scrape seeds together). Mix the other half of the sugar with the starch in a bowl, add T55 flour and add egg yolks.
2. Strain the boiled milk into the egg yolk batter from “Step 2”, stir well, and heat for 2 minutes.
3. After adding the butter and stirring evenly, pour it on a flat plate and cover it with plastic wrap to cool down and set aside.
Paste Sable (Total 1000)
- 55 g almond flour
- 104 g potato starch
- 361 g flour
- 2 g salt
- 181 g powdered sugar
- 191 g butter (croissant butter)
- 105 g whole egg liquid
- 1 Madagascar vanilla pod/seed
1. Bring the butter at room temperature. Sift the powdered sugar then add to the butter. Whisk the eggs and add to mixture.
2. Sift almond powder, flour, potato starch and salt then add them gradually.
Biscuit Joconde (Total 1001 g)
- 168 g egg whites
- 200 g caster sugar (A)
- 200 g almond flour
- 64 g flour
- 3 g cornstarch
- 2 g salt
- 288 g whole eggs
- 40 g caster sugar (B)
- 36 g butter
1. Beat egg whites with sugar (A) till stiff peak.
2. In another mixing bowl, mix the whole egg with caster sugar (B) and beat.
3. Mix the two gently. Add the sifted salt flour and starch. Finally add the melted butter at 70℃.
4. Spread on a baking tray and bake at 190°C for about 9 minutes.
Blueberry Violet Jam (Total 501.7g)
- 249 g blueberries
- 83 g raspberry puree
- 166 g caster sugar
- 0.7 g X58 pectin powder
- 2 g citric acid
- 1 g violet extract (Natural)
1. Mix caster sugar and X58 pectin powder, add to the fruit puree, then add fresh blueberries, stir and boil.
2. Cook to 103℃, add citric acid solution and violet essence and mix well.
Blueberry Glaze (Total 999g)
- 215 g blueberry puree
- 215 g water
- 92 g caster sugar (A)
- 277 g caster sugar (B)
- 185 g glucose syrup
- 3 g acid citric
- 6 g X58 pectin powder
- 6 g NH pectin powder
1. In a small bowl, combine sugar (A) with the two kinds of pectin powder and add water. Let it stand for 20 minutes.
2. In a heavy-bottomed pan, combine sugar (B) ,glucose and blueberry puree, heat to 70℃.
3. Gradually add the mixture from “Step 1”, stir and bring to a boil.
4. Add the citric acid solution and boil again for a few seconds.
Assembly & Decoration (Total: 1000g)
- 150 g Pate sable
- 250 g Biscuit joconde
- 60 g Blueberry violet jam
- 60 g Blueberry glaze
- 150 g Pastry cream
- 300 g Blueberries
- 30 g Candied violet leaves (crystallized petals)
Measurements for a 16-cm diameter tart mold
1. Roll out the sable between two OPP plastic sheets to a thickness of 2.5 mm, spread it into a tart mold, freeze for 5 minutes, and bake at 160°C for 15 minutes.
2. Spread the jam on the bottom layer of the tart shell, then put a piece of the joconde biscuit inside with a diameter of 16cm.
3. Pipe n a layer of the pastry cream on top of the biscuit, place a layer of blueberries on top, and brush a layer of blueberry glaze on top of the blueberries.
4. Gently place a piece of paper with a diameter of 14cm on the surface, then sprinkle a layer of powdered sugar on the edge, remove the piece of paper, and decorate the surface with candied violets (of course, other decorations can also be used).